Sunday 27 December 2015

Penguin Time

As most teachers know, we try to make teaching resources that fit our topics and the seasons in which we teach them.  Leading up to breaking up for the winter holiday brings a flurry of snowflakes and Christmas designs but afterwards going back early in January for "spring" term always seems rather out of kilter if we plunge in with spring flowers and baby birds when often there is a covering of snow on the ground outside the classroom!  That is why about this time of year my thoughts often turn to penguins and particularly if I come across some clipart that charms me and I know will engage children in their learning!

So today I want to offer you this freebie made using the inspiring clipart of the little penguins from Grade ONEderful - a Canadian teacher - https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Grade-Onederful

Just click on the picture above to be taken to the downloadable google doc!

I gave each of the cute little penguins his or her own parachute complete with phonic buttons in red. The children use this sheet (that will be laminated for re-use) to spell the six words containing three phonemes each they are told by their teacher.  e.g. dig, shed, top, thin, with, pan etc.  
Can they parachute their penguins to safety by spelling them correctly?

What type of resources do you use at this time of year?  Have you got any helpful hints for phonics you wish to share?  You know I'd love to know so leave me a comment - even if it's just agreeing that these little penguins are just adorable :)


2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you were able to use my penguins:) Thank you for the shout-out!
    Happy New Year!
    Grade ONEderful Designs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an absolute pleasure, Barbara - thank you again for creating and freely sharing them for teachers to use :)

      Delete